Friday, January 9, 2009

Classification of Viruses

Taxonomy and Classification of Viruses

Introduction
There are numerous types of virus present and new species are still being discovered today. They are present in almost every type or organism such as animals, plants, bacteria and fungi and thus require a system of classification so as to have a better understanding on the type of viruses present. According to the WHO, FAO and other international agencies, there are approximately 30,000 viruses, strains and subtypes but many still remain unassigned because they are not properly categorized.

An example of taxonomy of organisms



The first International Congress of Microbiology was held in Paris in 1930 but it was only during the International Congress of Microbiology held in Moscow in 1966, that the first attempt to come up with a system of classification of viruses was made.

The international Committee on Taxonomy of Viruses (ICTV) is a committee that handles the taxonomy of viruses. They have come up with a universal taxonomic scheme that follows the hierarchy taxa: Order - Family – Sub-family – Genus – Species. So far they have approved of 3 orders, 73 families, 9 subfamilies, 287 genera and 5450 viruses from 1950 species.Their first report was submitted in 1971 and the subsequent reports where released in 1976, 1979, 1982, 1991, 1995, 2000 and 2005.

There is also a classification criteria
  • Nature of genome and sequence relatedness.
  • Virus structure (symmetry, shape, etc).
  • Natural host range.
  • Cell and tissue tropism.
  • Pathogenicity and cytopathology.
  • Mode of transmission.
  • Physiochemical properties of virions.
  • Antigenic properties of viral proteins.

Despite having the ICTV, there are other people who come up with their own methods of classification for viruses. Two such examples would be Lwoff’s scheme of classification and David Baltimore’s system for classification. Lwoff’s scheme is based on several factors. They are shared properties of viruses instead of host properties, the physical properties of virus, nucleic acid of virus, symmetry of capsid, presence/absence of an envelope and the dimensions of virion and capsid. Baltimore’s system however, is solely based on the viral genome and its relationship to mRNA.

Baltimore’s system of classification separates the several kinds of DNA and RNA into seven classes as different viruses have different types DNA and RNA. Thus under this system of classification, the viruses are grouped according to their type of DNA and RNA. Below is a table of the classes.


dsDNA - double-stranded DNA.
ssDNA - single-stranded DNA
dsRNA - double-stranded RNA
(+) sense - positive(+) sense
(-) sense - negative(-) sense
(+) sense RNA is identical to mRNA while (-) sense RNA is complimentary to mRNA.
RNA reverse transcribing virus is transcribed from RNA to DNA.
DNA reverse transcribing virus is a DNA polymerase enzyme transcribed from ssRNA to DNA.



An example of classification



Reference
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Committee_on_Taxonomy_of_Viruses
http://www.iums.org/Congresses/index.html)-17/12/08
http://www.ictvonline.org/virusTaxInfo.asp)-17/12/08
http://biology.about.com/od/evolution/a/aa092304a.htm)-17/12/08
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baltimore_classification

6 comments:

karen said...

I am Sophie from Canada, I once suffered from a terrible and Chronic hepatitis b,since i was 23 , the doctor told me there was no permanent cure i was given medications to slow down its progress, i constantly felt my health was deteriorating as i constantly had Abdominal pain and vomiting ,this ailment was really terrible especially when am going out with my friends, i have this constant disorder for about 31 years, this was really a terrible ailment ,on thin one day that i was going through the internet,and i came across a post of Mrs kate on how she was been cured from hepatitis b through the help of Dr Williams herbal product, I contacted this herbal doctor via his email and explain everything to him and make purchase of his product,few days later he sent me the herbal medicine through courier service, when i received the herbal medicine, i used it for 1 months as prescribed by dr williams and i was totally cured within those week of usage,on thin now i have not experience any sign or characteristics again . for more information you can email him on drwilliams098675@gmail.com for help

clad hagel said...

Am Latif, all thanks to Almighty Allah who used Dr Aziz to cure me of
hepatitis B virus. I was deported from Dubai because of this sickness,
I almost spent all I had, until I saw Dr Aziz recommendations and
testimonies online, on how he has cured several people of chronic
hepatitis B, and I decided to contact him, and he administered his
herbal medication on me, and I became healed within a period of two
months. In case you wants to contact him for a similar problem, or all
other disease, you can reach him through +2347089275769/ whatsap +221705920450 or email:
azizd787@yahoo.com

ben rita said...

Investing online has been a main source of income,that's why knowledge plays a very important role in humanity,you don't need to over work yourself for money.All you need is the right information,and you could build your own wealth from the comfort of your home!Binary trading is dependent on timely signals,assets or controlled strategies which when mastered increases chance of winning up to 90%-100% with trading. It’s possible to earn $10,000 to $20,000 trading weekly-monthly,just file a complaint with  Robert,I had almost given up on everything about binary trading and ever getting my lost funds back,till i met with him,with his help now i have my lost funds back to my bank account and I can now trade successfully with his profitable strategies and software!! Email: Robertseaman939@gmail.com or Fb.me/investandmakemoney1 or  whatsApp: +44 7466 770724

John Keck said...

I'm 61 years old, I contracted hpv in 2011' I has be taking lot treatment for it and embarrassed some months ago the wart stated coming out seriously, I used lot recommendation because there was lot warts around my anus and was so . but today I'm totally happy I got the virus eliminated by using natural treatment from Dr Onokun herbal center after his treatment I got cured. all the warts went away' seriously believed Dr Onokun he have the cure for human papillomavirus because he has eliminated hpv been in my body since 2011, Dr Onokun make it possible for me. Here is Dr Onokun email: dronokunherbalcure@gmail.com or website: https:// Dronokunherbalcure.wordpress.com/ page at: https://www.facebook.com/naturaltreatment1

MATINA said...

I was diagnosed as HEPATITIS B carrier in 2013 with fibrosis of the
liver already present. I started on antiviral medications which
reduced the viral load initially. After a couple of years the virus
became resistant. I started on HEPATITIS B Herbal treatment from
ULTIMATE LIFE CLINIC (www.ultimatelifeclinic.com) in March, 2020. Their
treatment totally reversed the virus. I did another blood test after
the 6 months long treatment and tested negative to the virus. Amazing
treatment! This treatment is a breakthrough for all HBV carriers.

Anonymous said...

I was diagnose April 17,2015 and find out I'm HIV positive.I was scared because there is no cure for HIV/AIDS but today some people still don't believe that there is cure for HIV, it can only be cured through Africans root and herbs,and our doctor's here in USA few of them know about the African herbal medicine can cure Hiv but they chooses to hide it from us just to make a sales of medical expertise. I did a research online finding way to get rid of my disease,I saw a comment about a herbal doctor on internet Name Dr itua ,who has cured several disease with his powerful herbal medicine, I contacted him on whats-app, chat with him explain my self to him.He said he can cure hiv perfectly well , he gave me his request which i send to him. within 5 days he sent me the herbal medicine through ups courier delivering service And told me how to take the medicine for 2 weeks to get cured,I did for 2 weeks, within this 7 days i notice a very big change in my health and i new some thing great has happened then i went to confirm my result after finishing the herbal medicine for two weeks it was absolutely negative.The doctor who new i was hiv positive was asking me how come i am negative, what did it took to get cure and were did i get this medicine from and how did i get rid of it I told him every thing about the herbal medicine that cure me. imagine doctor telling me not to let anyone know about it,I wasn't shock though i knew they know about the herbal cure but chose to hide it in other to make sales on medicals expertise,if you are HIV positive Or other disease such
Cancer,Hiv,Herpes,Shingles, Hepatitis B,Liver Inflammatory,Diabetes,Fibroid,Parkinson's,Alzheimer’s disease.contact Dr Itua for any kind of herbal product and remedies through Email Or Website.. drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com www.drituaherbalcenter.com